Our School » About


Mission Statement

We at Iago Junior High School believe that
all students are capable of learning and that
our school will make a difference in their
educational futures. We will provide each
student with the foundation for a successful
high school career.
Who We Are

Iago Jr. High School is a class AAA Junior
High School. The staff is composed of 18
teachers, two secretaries, one counselor,
one principal, one nurse, one aide, and two
custodians. The student to teacher ratio is
15 to 1. We are culturally diverse campus
with the following breakdown:

10% African American
51% Hispanic
38% White
01% Asian
53% Economically Disadvantaged
01% ELL

We have an enrollment of approximately
270 students and are fully accredited by the
Texas Education Agency. In recent years,
Iago students have been, Duke Talent
Search Qualifiers, University Interscholastic
League winners, Youth Fair Academic
Rodeo finalists, and district and regional
qualifiers in athletic and co-curricular

The staff at our school work hard to make
all children feel welcome and supported.
Our veteran teachers have high
expectations for all students in both their
academic achievement and their behavior.
They work diligently to make each child's
educational experience a fulfilling one.
Everyone connected with our school, from
the custodian who cleans the building to
the principal with his open-door policy, is
committed to making a difference in the
lives of our students.

Iago Junior High School is a rural school
that is located at the intersection of Farm
roads 1301 and 1096, two miles northwest
of Boling and twelve miles east of Wharton
in southeastern Wharton County. Most of
the children that attend our school live in
the surrounding communities that make up
the Boling Independent School District.
History of Iago

The local Caney Creek was originally
named Canebrake Creek for the large
primeval forest of what Texans call "cane,"
a native bamboo, Arundinaria, growing to
heights of twenty feet. The first settlers
burned off the large tracts of canebrake,
built large plantations, and grew sugar cane
and cotton. The results of the Civil War and
the sugar cane blight ended the large
plantations, and the area was generally
abandoned until 1899, when the New York,
Texas and Mexican Railway ran a branch
from Wharton to Van Vleck in Matagorda
County. This opened up the area to small
farming interests.

Clarence D. Kemp owned three and one
sixth leagues of land where he set up a
mercantile store in the late 1880s. The
nearest settlements were Waterville, five
miles west, and Preston, three miles west.
A post office operated in Iago from 1891
until 1900 with Kemp as postmaster. Kemp
was sheriff of Wharton County from 1914
to 1921. G. C. Mick surveyed and laid out
the township of Iago in 1911, from 1,000
acres that he bought from Kemp. The area
had been part of the Seth Ingram league
and was next to the railroad.

The name Iago was chosen by M. D.
Taylor and C. W. Kemp, after the villain in
Shakespeare's Othello. The first school was
organized in 1902; it became part of the
Boling school district in 1941. By 1920 Iago
had two gins, a syrup mill, a blacksmith,
several mercantile and grocery stores, a
drugstore and doctor, a barbershop,
saloons, a church, and a population of

The 1927 Wharton County poll tax roll
lists 134 white registrants, seven of whom
were women and fifty-three black
registrants, three of whom were women.

The church was a federation of
Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists, and
Disciples of Christ. Each group was
responsible for services one Sunday each
month and any fifth Sunday was open to
other denominations. Summer revivals were
sponsored by the groups in alphabetical
order. An oil well was drilled in the front
yard of the church in 1945 and the mineral
royalty financed the building program on
the original lot given by William Stafford.

In 1958 the population was 300, but it
dropped to 150 by 1964. The Iago
Federated Church was still active in 1991.
The school served as a Boling Junior High.
In 1990 a few businesses still operated in
the area, and several outlying farms and oil
and gas wells were still productive. A
cemetery behind the school campus was
neglected and overgrown. In 1990 Iago had
a population of fifty-six.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Matagorda County
Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda
County (3 vols., Houston: Armstrong,
1986). Frank X. Tolbert, "Tolbert's Texas"
Scrapbook, Barker Texas History Center,
University of Texas at Austin. Del Weniger,
The Explorers' Texas (Austin: Eakin Press,
1984). Annie Lee Williams, A History of
Wharton County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-
Jones, 1964).

Merle R. Hudgins